Roadside Assistance Terms (Canada)
Helping you with problems you encounter on the road
Last updated: November 8, 2022
Rivian provides certain roadside assistance services (“Roadside Services”) to drivers and passengers of Rivian passenger vehicles pursuant to these terms and conditions (“Roadside Terms”). Roadside Services are described below, and are provided at the Vehicle owner’s sole cost and expense, except for complimentary towing or other services offered by Rivian related to obligations under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. You represent that you have reviewed and agree to be bound by Rivian’s Service Terms and Conditions (“Service Terms”) and those are incorporated into and made part of these Roadside Terms. “Vehicle” shall mean the Rivian passenger vehicle sold by Rivian and registered in Canada and provided or identified to Rivian for Roadside Services. Roadside Services may be provided by third party partners and individual tow truck operators, each of which may have their own terms, conditions, and contractual agreements which you may be subject to and that relate to those specific services.
You agree that by requesting Roadside Services or Emergency Services (defined below), you are bound by the Service Terms and that Rivian, and its third-party partners and service providers who may assist with the provision of Roadside Services to you, are authorized to perform repairs and services on the Vehicle. You hereby grant Rivian and its third-party partners and service providers access to the Vehicle, data and information on the Vehicle (including the Vehicle’s location), and authorize any necessary or advisable on-road testing or other operation of the Vehicle. You agree to pay for any and all requested Roadside Services for the Vehicle unless such Roadside Services are provided to repair or resolve a warrantable issue, as detailed further in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Rivian will provide complimentary emergency towing to transport the Vehicle to either the nearest authorized Rivian service location or to a mutually agreed-upon location for warranty-related issues (you may be charged for towing expenses resulting from non-warranty issues), in addition to the following services (“Roadside Services”):
- Over-the-Air (“OTA”) software updates
- 12-volt battery jumpstart
- Flat tire assistance, including installation of spare tire, if your Vehicle is equipped with one
- Vehicle lockout assistance (including remote unlock via OTA, if your Vehicle has connectivity)
In the event you are in an accident or have another emergency and you need assistance from first responders such as police, firefighters, and/or medical personnel (referred to herein as “Emergency Services”), the Vehicle is equipped with an SOS button that you can press to reach a 24/7 national call center operated by Rivian’s third-party partner that will communicate with you regarding your emergency and determine whether to request dispatch of Emergency Services to the Vehicle’s location. If there is no response from your Vehicle, the call center will request dispatch of Emergency Services to the Vehicle’s location. In addition, if the Vehicle detects a significant collision has occurred, it will automatically request dispatch of Emergency Services to the Vehicle’s location. You acknowledge and agree that your information and the Vehicle’s location will be shared by Rivian with third parties and first responders in order to provide Emergency Services. You also acknowledge and agree that Rivian, its service providers, and/or first responders may contact you by phone or text if you press the SOS button, or when a significant collision is detected by the Vehicle, and that any SOS calls you initiate or subsequent calls to your phone may be recorded for safety purposes.
The SOS button and related capabilities are limited by factors outside of Rivian’s control, including an operational telematics system, cellular connectivity, and a GPS signal, without which the related functionality may be affected. In addition, the SOS button and related capabilities will not work outside of the United States or Canada. Rivian makes no representations or warranties for the services provided by its third-party service providers (including the national call center) or the Emergency Services provided by first responders, including the timeliness of such services or whether first responders arrive at all. Rivian is not liable for the use or lack of availability of Emergency Services. You are responsible for any costs or expenses associated with or resulting from the Emergency Services, including any medical care (including ambulance services) provided by first responders. For more information on the SOS button and related capabilities, see the Owner’s Guide.
Roadside Services may be subject to applicable charges, some of which may not be discernable at the time you make the request for services. Complimentary Roadside Services are available only if the Vehicle is disabled due to a warrantable issue during the applicable New Vehicle Limited Warranty period for that specific Vehicle, and such warranty is not void.
You will be charged for Roadside Services if any of the exclusions or limitations listed below apply, even if Rivian has indicated to you that Roadside Services would otherwise be available, as Rivian may not be aware of these exclusions and limitations at the time Roadside Services are requested. Rivian reserves the right to discontinue Roadside Services generally, or charge you for excessive use of Roadside Services or SOS, in Rivian’s sole discretion.
Exclusions and Limitations
You will be charged for Roadside Services if the Vehicle has been materially modified without Rivian’s written approval; repaired inconsistent with Rivian’s service requirements; subjected to unusual physical, thermal, or electrical stress; racing; overloading; improper installation; misuse; abuse; fire; floods; or negligence in use, storage, transportation or handling; or if the Vehicle is used primarily for business or commercial purposes. In addition, you will be charged Roadside Services resulting from damages or failures not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty that cause a Vehicle to become disabled, including, but not limited to, damages or failures caused by the following:
- Using or installing non-approved parts (including, but not limited to, tires), or by performing non-approved modifications.
- Lack of routine maintenance as set forth in the Owner’s Guide for your Vehicle.
- Lack of repair or failure to repair in a timely manner.
- Your failure to observe and comply with all recall notices.
- Using the Vehicle to improperly tow, winch, or otherwise improperly convey transportation.
- Winching, towing, or transporting the Vehicle in an improper manner.
- Collisions, accidents, and objects striking the Vehicle.
- Reckless driving of the Vehicle over hazardous surfaces including but not limited to curbs, potholes, debris, vegetation, or other obstacles.
- Competition and racing.
- Using the Vehicle for purposes other than those which it was designed, including using the Vehicle for long-term stationary power backup or supply.
- Environmental damages, malicious acts, or acts of God, including but not limited to storms, hail damage, floods, high winds, fire, lightning, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, road debris, vandalism or acts of violence, animal infestation, tree sap, harmful airborne chemicals including, but not limited to, ash and fallout, exposure to salt, stone chips, pavement tar, and insect and bird leavings.
- Storing the Vehicle at temperatures below -31°F (-35° Celsius) without being plugged into a charger.
You may be charged for Roadside Services because of any exclusion or limitation under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or if the Roadside Services are not the result of the Vehicle being inoperable due to a warrantable issue, even if a warrantable issue exists. This is not a warranty.